- Getting the right people involved - carrying out references and CRB checks
- Creating a safe environment - codes of conduct, education and best practice
- Promoting clear systems to deal with any concerns, policy and procedures
Getting the right people involved
- Is your Welfare Officer the last person to know when you have appointed a new Coach, Manager or Assistant Manager?
- Does your Club have a policy where all new volunteers have to complete an application form and an FA CRB disclosure form BEFORE they become involved with the children?
Creating a safe environment
- Do you have a Manager, Coach or Assistant Manager who says they have been in the game for years and don’t need to attend Safeguarding Children Training or have a Coaching Qualification?
- Do all of your Managers, Coaches and Assistant Managers have a minimum Level 1 Coaching Certificate and Safeguarding Children Workshop Certificate?
Promoting clear systems to deal with any concerns, policy and procedures
- Would your Coaches, Managers, Parents and Players have to search long and hard to find the Club Welfare Officer’s telephone number or The FA/NSPCC Helpline number?
- Is your Club Welfare Officer’s telephone number and The FA/NSPCC Helpline number widely circulated and displayed so everyone has access to support to discuss or report concerns quickly?
If you answered yes to any or all of the first questions posed above, your Club needs to quickly review their position in relation to Safeguarding Children. If you answered yes to all of the second questions posed, you are displaying best practice – well done.
If you feel your Club/League or Club/League Welfare Officer is going that extra mile and making your Club/League exceptional in creating a safe, enjoyable fun environment, please email Safeguarding@NorfolkFA.com with details of what you are doing and how you are doing it. We would like to feature some good news and build a portfolio of excellent Safeguarding examples in this section of the website.
For more helpful information about Safeguarding Children, please use the quick links inclded in the footer below, or contact Safeguarding on 01603 704050.