Dereham duo win Norfolk Senior Cup for the Magpies

Goals from Man of the Match Rhys Logan and Luke Tuttle either side of half-time secured the Magpies’ fourth Norfolk Senior Cup in their history.

Click here to view photos from the match.

You can also watch highlights from the match on our YouTube channel here.

Both sides started the game nervously, giving away possession easily and looking to use the long ball to test the defensive back lines as they settled into the rhythm of the game. Norwich United looked to spread the ball wide in order to stretch the Magpies defence, with Henery and Hipperson both in the thick of the action.

It was Dereham though who had the first clear cut opportunity with Rhys Logan being sent through on goal on the right hand side, however Norwich United goalkeeper Jake Jessup quickly rushed out of his goal to nullify the threat, and clear comfortably. United looked to quickly react, with Andrew Eastaugh playing a troublesome lofted through ball toward Blake who got round his defender and managed to poke the ball past the Magpies goalkeeper Viner, however the shot lacked enough power to get over the line.

Blake looked a constant threat in the opening 30 minutes, this time picking up the ball 20 yards from goal, dropping his shoulder onto his favoured right foot before unleashing a powerful shot, however this time his effort was tipped behind.

The resulting corner was played short, with Hipperson curling in a teasing cross that was flicked on by Blake, however no-one was on hand at the back post to turn the ball home. Norwich were on top of the game and continued to create chances, with a diagonal ball being played across to Blake at the far post, who cleverly brought the ball down on his chest before firing a left footed shot towards goal, but Viner was on hand again to save with his right foot at his near post.

Dereham looked a constant threat down the right hand side with Logan being a real thorn in the Norwich’s side. With the game heading into extra time of the first half, Luke Tuttle received the ball deep inside his own half, and played an incisive through ball to Logan who made no mistake this time, firing his effort into the bottom corner to give the Magpies a crucial lead heading into half time.

Half time: Dereham Town 1 - 0 Norwich United

Dereham started the second half exactly where the left off in the first, with Logan once again racing down the right hand flank, pulling his cross back to Tuttle, however he blazed his first time effort over the bar.

They didn't have to wait long to double their lead though, as Logan played in Ryan Crisp who skilfully left his defender on the deck with a step over in the penalty area, before pulling the ball back across goal to the unmarked Tuttle who coolly converted into an empty net from close range less than ten minutes into the second half. That goal settled the game with the Magpies beginning to create more opportunities and posed more of a threat in the final third.

Ryan Crisp began to pull the strings down the left hand side, taking his defender all the way towards byline before delivering a deep searching cross towards Tuttle at the back post. Despite the forwards best efforts to loop his header over the goalkeeper, his effort could only bounce inches wide of the post. Tuttle then returned the favour seven minutes later, sliding through Ryan Crisp who sweetly struck his effort towards goal, with Jessup doing well to parry the ball behind.

Norwich United struggled to create chances the longer the game went on, with Hipperson doing his best to pull back a driven cross, however the Dereham defence never looked in doubt. The Magpies then looked to break on a series of counter attacks, with Logan cutting inside in order to slide through Tuttle who was free on the left hand side, however his curling first time effort landed on the roof of the net.

That proved to be Tuttle’s last piece of action before being substituted for Craig Bussens, who looked to operate in a role out on the left hand side. It wasn’t long before Adam Smith sent him on his way down the flank, teasing full back Jamie Speller with a series of step-overs before and unleashing a venomous effort that looked destined for the top right hand corner, however Jessup once again did brilliantly to deny the winger.

Norwich United continued to press in the hope of getting themselves back in the game. With 88 minutes on the clock, Henery played in substitute Thompson in the 18 yard box, who struck his shot first time towards goal which Viner could only parry towards Blake, and with the goalkeeper down, it looked harder for Blake to miss, however he did just that, which left the rest of his players, coaching staff and fans with their hands on their heads.

The Magpies defence continued to stand firm, which proved to be final chance of the game as Dereham lifted the Norfolk Senior Cup!

Final Score: Dereham Town 2 - 0 Norwich United


Line ups:


Dereham Town: William Viner, Jake Anema, Fraser Blake-Tracy, Daniel Morphew, Matthew Howard, Dion Frary, Vadim Constandachi, Adam Smith, Ryan Crisp, Luke Tuttle (C) & Rhys Logan.

Subs:  Craig Bussens, Lewis Butcher, Matthew Cook, Robbie Linford, William Sainsbury-Logan.

Goals: Rhys Logan (45’), Tuttle (55’)

Norwich United: Jake Jessup, Jamie Speller, Joel Potter, Lee Mason, Andrew Eastaugh (C), Steve Shipley, Tim Henery, Ben Jones, Matthew Blake, Matthew Daniels & Adam Hipperson.

Subs: Adam Bennett, James Page, Ben Thompson, Josh Carus.

Referee: Mike George

Assistants: Ryan Head & Paul Stearman

Fourth Official: James Turner

Player of the Match: Rhys Logan (Dereham Town)

Attendance: 1,072