Downham Town 3 - 0 Wymondham Town

Downham Town booked their place in the Norfolk Senior Cup Final on Tuesday night


Downham Town booked their place at Carrow Road by beating Wymondham Town by 3 goals to nil in the Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final on Tuesday evening.

Downham will now face Norwich United at Carrow Road on Monday 30th April, kick off 7:30pm

With just less than 5 minutes played Downham won a free-kick just inside the Wymondham half on the left. Matt Bussens launched the ball into the box where it was met by a commanding header from the Downham captain, Jono Sykes. He headed the ball past the stranded Alex Attfield and into the back of the net to give Downham the lead.

After conceding the early goal, Wymondham became lively and began to create more chances. Charlie Blake came close with a header from 10 yards out after some nice wing play from Daniel Mace.

Minutes later the Wymondham number 9, Liam Moriaty, blazed a half volley over the bar after a poor headed clearance from Pritchard. The lower ranked side were definitely on top but unable to convert any of their chances as half time was approaching.

Against the run of play Downham countered with great pace down the right side. Attfield in the Wymondham goal ensured that his team were still in the contest at half time due to a brilliant reaction save down to his right..

Half Time 1-1

In the second minute of the second half Wymondham came very close when a corner was whipped into the front post and the Downham defence didn't deal with it, the goal mouth scramble saw was ended by Matt Capes in the Downham net who managed to keep the ball from crossing the line.

Attfield continued to make great saves as Downham started to gain authority in the match as the fitness of the higher ranked side was starting to tell.

After a period of constant Downham pressure Ben Baxter-Hunt dropped his shoulder to cut inside from the left about 20 yards out. He then bent the ball into the opposite top corner to give his side a 2-0 lead.

 With Wymondham needing two goals just to take the game to extra time they pushed men forward enabling the game to open up and possession started changing hands frequently.

With just under 15 minutes to go a long throw in from the right allowed Pritchard to plant a header into the bottom corner and give the home side a 3-0 lead which they kept till the final whistle.

Full Time 3-1

Attendance 358