Norfolk County FA Volunteers' Awards Evening
Local football heroes were recognised as we held our annual Volunteers’ Awards evening at Sprowston Manor on Friday 7 September 2018.
Incorporating The FA & McDonald’s Grassroots Football Awards, The FA & Norfolk FA Long Service awards and The Peter Smith Groundsman award, the evening celebrated the contributions that clubs, leagues and individuals made to grassroots football in Norfolk during the 2017-18 season.
As a surprise to those in attendance, special guests were in the form of representatives of the England U21’s squad including Premier League players Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Dominic Solanke (Liverpool), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Angus Gunn (Southampton) and James Maddison (Leicester City); with the last two having recent ties to the Canaries of course! Entertainment throughout the evening was provided by The Voice Kids star Perry Cooke.
The audience were not only treated to a Q&A session with Gunn and Maddison but another with Manager Aidy Boothroyd in what was a great insight into both the Young Lions’ Camp and his recent experiences at the World Cup working with Gareth Southgate in Russia.
A charity raffle and auction was held, raising over £1300 with the proceeds being donated to Community Sports Foundation, our new charity partner, and specifically towards the funding of Phase 2 of The Nest. Our Banking Partners Barclays, who were also present on the evening, matched the funds raised to reach a total of £2742!
Norfolk FA Chief Executive, Gavin Lemmon said “The hard working volunteers that give up their time every week to guarantee our game continues to flourish are the real heroes of Norfolk football.
“Our awards evening allows us to reward those individuals and give them a little bit of recognition for all they do.
“May I once again congratulate all of this year’s winners of awards and thank all of Norfolk’s amazing volunteers that allow so many to enjoy football within our great county.”
Local photographer and videographer, Trevor Fuller provided photography services on the night – a big thank you to him and his team and the use of the ‘Mirror Booth’ on the evening, in which many guests had a lot of fun with. Photos from the evening can be purchased here with use of the password 'norfolkfa'.
This year’s event also showcased the support of award winning architectural practice Chaplin Farrant in the second of a three-year partnership with Norfolk FA.
- The FA Charter Standard Club of the Year: Horsford FC
- Coach of the Year: Ben Woodruff (Tasburgh United FC)
- Grounds Team of the Year: Aylsham FC – Jeff Lake
- The FA Charter Standard League of the Year: Norfolk Combined Youth Football League
- Match Official of the Year: Philip South
- The Respect Award: Emma Hart – Dereham Saints FC
- Supporter of the Year: Luke Wrycraft – Yaxham FC
- Volunteer of the Year: Richard Giles – Acle United FC
- Youth Volunteer of the Year: Tom Rampling (Norfolk Combined Youth Football League, Horsford FC & Norfolk FA Youth Council)
- Community Project of the Year: ‘All to Play For’ – Active Norfolk & The Norfolk & Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust
- The Peter Smith Groundsman of the Year: John Marston – Mundford FC
FA & Norfolk FA Long Service Awards
- 10 Years’ Service as a League Officer: David Beecher – Norfolk & Suffolk Youth League
- 15 Years’ Service as a League Officer: Paul Newby – Norfolk & Suffolk Youth League
- 15 Years’ Service as a Club Officer: Joanna Simpson – Thetford Bulldogs FC
- 25 Years’ Service as a League Officer: John Pitts – Norfolk & Suffolk Youth League
- 25 Years’ Service as a League Official (Anglian Combination) & 10 Years’ Service as a League Officer (Norfolk & Suffolk Youth): Brian Gower
- 25 Years’ Service as a Match Official: Kevin Betts
- The FA’s 50 Year Service to Football Award: John Turner
- The FA’s 50 Year Service to Football Award & 25 Years’ Service as a Club Officer & 25 Years’ Service as Groundsman: Roger Knights – Shipdham FC