Norfolk U18 - Final Squad - T

Norfolk lose in The FA County Youth Cup Final to Manchester

Norfolk County FA
Norfolk lose in the FA County Youth Cup Final to Manchester after conceding three unanswered goals.

Norfolk lose in the FA County Youth Cup Final to Manchester after conceding three unanswered goals.

Spotland Stadium, Rochdale - 13.4.19 KO 2:00pm

Final Score: Manchester U18’s 3-0 Norfolk U18’s

In the opening minute Manchester scored their opening goal of the game when Anointed Chukwu stroked home a low cross from the right hand side. Connor Milligan in the Norfolk goal had no chance of getting to his well hit shot.

With 11 minutes gone some good work down the Norfolk left from Brady Philpott and Daegan Watts lead to a throw-in well into the Manchester half. Josh Ford launched the throw-in into the Manchester box and after a series of poor clearances, Watts had a shot on goal, his strike hit the side netting to Manchester’s relief.

Manchester doubled their lead after 23 minutes when a scrappy period of play lead to the ball falling to the feet of Tyler Dyson on the Manchester right. Dyson cut in from the flank and hit his shot across the goal into the bottom corner of the net.

In the final 10 minutes of the half Norfolk began to get a foot hold in the game with long periods of possession. Despite dominating the play they were unable to capitalise and didn’t force a save from George Neave in the Manchester goal.

Half Time: Manchester U18’s 2-0 Norfolk U18’s

Norfolk made a half-time substitution as Cameron Wing was replaced by Harrison Gilding-Hewitt. Gilding-Hewitt joined James Bemrose up front as Norfolk looked to get back into the game.

With 10 minutes played in the second half Norfolk came close to scoring when a long throw-in from Ford was met by the head of Norfolk captain, Lewis Johnson. His headed effort bounced back off the crossbar with Gilding-Hewitt failing with his attempted over-head kick from the rebound.

With Milligan making great saves at one end for Norfolk their forward players were continuing to search for the goal they needed. A free-kick from the right found the head of Aaron Rich and his effort just went over the bar. This pressure from Norfolk sparked the traveling fans into fine voice with chants of “Green Army” ringing around Spotland.

With time running out, substitutes Karol Wengrzik and Max Lane were sent on for Norfolk to try and find a breakthrough. However, as Norfolk pushed players forward it meant they were more vulnerable at the back. Manchester capitalised on this and scored their third when Dyson got his second of the game with a well hit shot from the edge of the box. This was the final meaningful play of the match as Norfolk hadn’t got anything left in the tank.

Despite Norfolk not scoring, they had given a great account of themselves on and off the pitch. Norfolk would like to thank Rochdale for their hospitality and the crowd for their great support. Congratulations to Manchester on the victory.

Final Score: Manchester U18’s 3-0 Norfolk U18’s

Line ups:

Manchester U18’s: Neave, Wright, Rhodes, Lockett, Hall, Adetiloye, Burrows, Doyle ©, Ognrinde, Chukwu, Dyson. 

Subs: Foulds, Voss, Moncrieffe, Ditchfield, Shepherd.

Norfolk U18’s: Milligan, Tinkler, Philpott, Johnson (c), Ford, Rich, Wing, Cottingham, Bemrose, Forbes, Watts.

Subs: Lane, Upston, Lane, Gilding-Hewitt, Wengrzik.

Referee: David Rock 

Assistants: Aaron Farmer and Mike Desborough

Fourth Official: Andrew Kitchen

Player of the Match: Josh Ford

Norfolk FA would like to thank Portable Toilet Hire Specialists, Toilets+ for being the Official Squad Sponsor of the Norfolk under 18 Representative Squad.