Ingrams inspire Greens to victory

Marketing & Communications
Gorleston win the Ashtons Legal Senior Cup thanks to goals from Connor Ingram, Joel Watts & Kyle Ingram.

Mulbarton Wanderers Vs Gorleston – The Ashtons Legal Senior Cup Final

FDC Field of Dreams, 21.05.21, KO 7:45pm

Final Score: Mulbarton Wanderers 2 – 3 Gorleston



Gorleston settled into the game the better of the two sides with Chris Henderson having the first shot of the game in the opening minute. His effort however was easily blocked and cleared by Tom Hislop.

The deadlock was broken in the fourth minute when a poorly worked Mulbarton throw in their own half lead to Connor Ingram being through on goal. The Greens’ forward man struck the ball first time from 30 yards out and over the head of the onrushing Tom Wright into an empty net to give his side the lead.

The persistent rain was causing issues for both teams with neither side able to create a meaningful chance despite plenty of balls being delivered into both penalty areas.

The next real chance fell to Gorleston in the 26th minute when Mitchell McKay rose highest at the far post from an Ingram corner. He could only direct his header across the face of goal and Mulbarton were able to scramble the ball away from danger. Minutes later another Gorleston corner lead to another chance for McKay, this time blazing his effort over the crossbar.

Despite appearing isolated at times, the Mulbarton striker, Ben Thompson, was causing problems with his physicality for the Gorleston centre half pairing of McKay and Connor Deeks. The half ended with Gorleston going into the break with a slender advantage.

Half time – Mulbarton Wanderers 0 – 1 Gorleston

Wanderers started the second period on the front foot with Danny Beaumont asking questions of the Gorleston back line with his trickery and pace. His delivery from a corner on the left created a half chance for Danny Self but he was unable to control his volley, slicing it wide of the post.

Mulbarton continued to apply pressure to Jake Jessup’s goal and the breakthrough came in the 55th minute. Thompson demonstrated his strength once again, holding off two Gorleston defenders and turning eight yards out, giving himself the room to smash the ball into the top left corner past the motionless goalkeeper.

Gorleston retook the lead only minutes later when Joel Watts combined brilliantly with Goalscorer, Ingram. A one-two allowed Watts to get past the Mulbarton defence and fire home from a tight angle on the left, beating Wright at his near post.

Two chances in quick succession went the way of the trailing side. First Thompson had a tame effort cleared off the line and then Jessup was called into action to make a good save down to his right from a venomous strike.

Wanderers equalised for the second time as Thompson turned provider. A lightning quick counterattack from Mulbarton, included a brilliant over-the-head pass from Thompson which set Ian Fancett away with just Jessup to beat. Fancett kept his composure side footing the ball past the stranded goalkeeper.

Jessup was called upon again in the 83rd minute when he had to dive quickly to save a ferocious Sam Whiting strike from the edge of the box. Although Thompson was on hand to meet the rebound, he was unable to direct his shot on target.

A second yellow card for Luke Goreham resulted in Gorleston playing the final 6 minutes of the game with 10 men.

Having just gone down a player, Kyle Ingram turned into captain fantastic as he dribbled past a player on the left of the opposition box, and fired his shot across goal from a tight angle. The ball cannoned off the inside of the far post and into the net, giving his side the lead once again.

Mulbarton pushed forward to find the equaliser but were unable to capitalise on their territory, resulting in Gorleston winning Norfolk’s most prestigious cup competition for the first time since 2014.

Final Score: Mulbarton Wanderers 2 – 3 Gorleston


Line ups:

Mulbarton Wanderers: Tom Wright, Kieran Smith, Toby Oliver, James Page ©, Tom Hislop, Danny Self, Tim Henery, Ben Jones, Ben Thompson, Sam Whiting and Danny Beaumont.

Subs: Cain Eagleton, Ian Fancett, Dom Doggett, Elliot Altay and Tom Baird.


Gorleston: Jake Jessup, Steve Taylor, Luke Goreham, Joel Watts, Connor Deeks, Mitchell McKay, Kyle Ingram ©, Angus Mackie, Peter Lambert, Connor Ingram and Chris Henderson.

Subs: Steve Vennel, Chrissy Finch, Dec Allen, Elliot Hannant and Josh Whittington.


Referee: Tom Harvey

Assistants: Murray Grant and Dario Matthewson

Fourth Official: Ryan Head

Attendance: 268

Player of the Match: Connor Ingram

Photography: Matthew Usher