Costessey Sports lifting the One Broker Veterans Cup

Costessey Sports lift the Veterans' Cup for the first time

Marketing & Communications
Costessey Sports Y.B.V lifted the One Broker Veterans' Cup after scoring three unanswered goals this afternoon.

Costessey Sports Y.B.V Vs Thetford Town – The One Broker Veterans' Cup Final 21-22

Harrod Sport Arena, 01.05.22, KO 2:30pm

A game filled with action from both sides did not disappoint the 200-strong crowd this afternoon despite a goalless first half. Ultimately, it was Costessey Sports who closed out the game with three goals in the second half to lift the One Broker Veterans Cup.

The game kicked off with an immediate chance for Thetford as Jay Conroy’s shot from distance challenged Costessey Sports’ goalkeeper, Duane Smith, who gathered the ball safely in his arms to prevent the goal.

Shortly after, it was clear the game would be fuelled by end to end action as Luke Tuttle played a through ball to Jason Armes who cut the ball back to the edge of the 18-yard box and curled the ball goalward. The effort was brilliantly matched by an outstretched hand from Thetford Town’s number one, Rob Jefferies.

A bright spell saw Town continuously playing through the thirds with Adam Haylett delivering a killer pass to release Conroy through on goal, only to be denied once again by a reaction save from Smith. Moments later, the pressure continued with beautiful build-up play allowing Alex De Graca through one on one, only for him to put the ball over the crossbar.

The 26th minute saw a change of personnel for Costessey as Ben Read, Kaine Challen, and Jody Peacher entered the game in hope to settle down the flow of the play, following an intense period.

The last clear chance of the half fell to Costessey as Jason Armes was once again played through on goal with only what seemed to be the keeper to beat. However, a fantastic recovery run by Ellis Williamson denied the experienced striker with a crunching, last-ditch tackle to keep the game at deadlock.


Half Time – Costessey Sports 0 – 0 Thetford Town

Both teams took to the field making no substitutions apart from Thetford’s Rocky Holt replacing Tom Catchpole.

The game kicked off with immediate action as penalty shouts filled the Harrod Sport Arena due to a clash between the Thetford Keeper and Costessey striker, only to be waived away by the referee, Chris Gray.

The game began to heat up following this with several tough challenges in the space of 5 minutes culminating with Tuttle receiving a booking on the halfway line following an ill-timed tackle. Despite this, Tuttle carried on being the playmaker for Costessey setting Armes through on goal who forced a brave save from Jeffries once again to deny the first goal of the afternoon.

Moments later, Costessey finally found joy in front of goal. Tuttle’s strike from distance found its way through a crowded box forcing a double save from Jefferies. Unfortunately for Town, the goalkeeper’s save found its way to Aaron Saddleton who calmly slotted the ball home from a difficult angle to put Sports ahead in the 57th minute.

Moments later, the lead was doubled as Thetford’s defence fell victim to a blistering run down the wing by Saddleton whose low cross was tapped in at the back post by Armes.

The two-goal cushion was only short lived as Armes quickly found his second of the game. A scrappy moment of the play in the Thetford box saw the ball fall to the feet of the goal scorer whose deflected effort rolled just over the line, despite the best efforts of Williamson to clear the ball off the line.

The intense period of action quickly calmed down after this. Thetford continued to push for a goal to inspire a comeback with a few opportunities going off-target. This included a Conroy half-volley from just outside the box that was saved comfortably.

The game finished following three minutes of additional time with a 3-0 win for Costessey Sports Y.B.V who proceeded to lift the One Broker Veterans Cup.


Full Time – Costessey Sports 3 – 0 Thetford Town


Line ups:

Costessey Sports: Duane Smith, Craig Ritchie, Dan Cushing, Jason Armes, Scott Sell, Aaron Saddleton, Luke Tuttle, Duane Thompson, Paul Norman, Lee Metcalfe ©, Matty Nixon.

Subs: Ben Read, Kaine Challen, Jody Peacher.


Thetford Town: Rob Jefferies, Dan Bailey, Steve Davies, Paul Mleczek, Adam Haylett ©, Tom Catchpole, Jay Conroy, Craig Skipp, Alex De Graca, Ellis Williamson, James Miller.

Subs: James Boughton, Rocky Holt, Eduardo Telles, Rich Lusardi, Mickey Saul.


Referee: Chris Gray

Assistants: Daniel Bird and Mark Shepstone

Fourth Official: Daniel Knowles

Attendance: 205

Player of the Match: Jason Armes

Photography: Sean Golding @seangolding2