John Savage Cup Final 2023 Match report Website Banner

Town treble secures John Savage Cup

Marketing & Communications
Fakenham Town became the John Savage Cup winners for the second year running on Sunday afternoon, beating Terrington Tigers 3-1 at Harrod Sport Arena.

Fakenham Town vs Terrington Tigers – The John Savage Cup Final                    

Harrod Sport Arena, 23.04.23, KO 2.30pm

Final Score: Fakenham Town 3 – 1 Terrington Tigers

Fakenham Town became the John Savage Cup winners for the second year running on Sunday afternoon, beating Terrington Tigers 3-1 at Harrod Sport Arena.

An opening goal by Ashton McKinney saw the Ghosts lead 1-0 at the break, before player of the match Charlie Pennell doubled the advantage early in the second half.

A goal for Terrington’s Ben Howlett teased a classic Cup Final finish, only for Charlie Abbs to smash home the third for the Ghosts, and the final goal of the game, only moments later.

Fakenham started on the front foot, looking to press forward and create chances from the first whistle. Charlie Pennell was dictating play from the centre of midfield and In the opening 5 minutes Max Voutt was put through on goal, but his laced shot was straight at keeper.

Luke Allen picked up a loose ball moments later and released a powerful strike goalward. His low drive was well saved at the near post but slippery conditions prevented Terrington’s Ben Lincoln from keeping hold of the ball and it spun out for a corner which was eventually cleared by the defence.

In Terrington’s first real attack of the game, Jake Alexander beat the Fakenham back line with a well-timed run and found himself chasing the ball through on goal. Town’s George Mower was quick off his line however and was fast enough to clear away to safety.

Fakenham’s Alfie Bell then released Noah Hunt who used his pace to beat Captain Jack Parker to the ball but dragged his shot wide of the right post. A free kick that led to a corner caused further problems for Terrington, with the set piece not dealt with and aerial duels taking centre stage. As the ball looked to be bundled home the Tigers received a reprieve with the Referee spotting a foul on Parker in the six-yard box.

Town were pushing for the opening goal, and in the 23rd minute they were rewarded for their efforts. A free kick into the Terrington area was headed backwards and Ashton McKinney sprinted out to keep the ball in play. With a touch or two back from the byline, instead of lashing it across the box he curled a deft ball toward the back post with an arc that saw it creep in at the last second, giving Lincoln no chance.

Terrington began to push forward more, with Alexander consistently looking to get in behind. Mower continued to come off his line well, until and unfortunate 50/50 challenge between them saw the goalkeeper come off worse taking a knock to the head and eventually being replaced by Max Kirby from the Fakenham bench.

Half time – Fakenham Town 1 – 0 Terrington Tigers

The opening stages of the second half were a cagey affair, with Fakenham having more of the possession but Terrington looking more organised and compact making it difficult for the ghosts to create as much as the previous period. The Tigers were happy to sit and look to play on the counterattack, but the Ghosts’ back line held firm whenever needing to recover.

In the 52nd minute Fakenham doubled the advantage. Having enjoyed the possession but failing to really create clear cut opportunities, it fell to a set piece to make the difference. A long corner was driven toward the back of the goal, where Charli Pennell rose highest, forcing a powerful header through the crowd and into the back of the net.

The Ghosts would not be comfortable for long, as only five minutes later a long ball forward found Ben Howlett behind the Fakenham back line. One on one with the keeper, he showed good composure to place it low and left sending the further west of the West Norfolk crowd into full voice.

With an instant response Fakenham, angered, pushed up the other end looking to impose themselves on their opponents and got their reward instantly. Pennell involved again flicked a ball into the area, a strike was sent goalward through a crowd of players and Lincoln did well to save. The rebound however fell straight to Charlie Abbs who finished emphatically, rifling home a rasping shot with his laces that nobody was going to stop.

The final portion of the game saw Fakenham deliver a professional ten minute spell, where they saw the tie out to become the 22-23 John Savage Cup winners.

Final Score: Fakenham Town 3 – 1 Terrington Tigers


Line ups:

Fakenham Town: George Mower, Lewis Brown, Luke Allen, Alfie Bell, Artur Watson ©, Charlie Abbs, Charlie Pennell, Ashton McKinney, Noah Hunt, Josh White, Max Voutt.

Subs: Harvey Baldwin, Ryan Banda, Daniel Orekoste.


Terrington Tigers: Ben Lincoln, Kian Suckling, Josh Osborne, Jack Parker ©, Jake Wiles, Ben Howlett, Archie Mitchell, Jake Alexander, Vinny Marchetti, James Dunn, Max Layn.

Subs: Lennon Wood, Ben Youngs, Dylan Saunders, Harley Paul.


Referee: Sam Gasson-Cox

Assistants: Darron Harrowing & James Durham

Fourth Official: Edward Colman

Attendance: 218

Player of the Match: Charlie Pennell

Photography: Cyan Fullbrook